Sunday, January 07, 2007

on my way out to dinner last night


Saturday night I met a friend downtown for dinner at Mother Tucker's on 10 ave. I have known her since Sunday School at Mount Royal United Church when we were 6 year old Townies in Montreal. At Mount Royal High, we both played the french horn in the band. As with lots of other Montrealers, we both ended up in Calgary about the same time. I have other friends in Calgary that I have known since I was 4 years old in Shawinigan Quebec. They still talk to me, occasionally!

Mother Tuckers has been around forever. The prime rib is good and there is an extensive salad bar. We sat by a fireplace which was nice at first but then it got hot. The ambiance is a little dated now, the decor is much the same as it was 25 years ago. Most restaurants have a shorter life cycle than that.

Another restaurant that has been around forever and used to be a family favourite is Japanese Village. I was glad to see that they have relocated to above Cannery Row on 10 avenue, just down the block from Tucker's. Japanese Village & Hy's Steakhouse are being demolished to make way for a 38 story office tower on 4 avenue. Hy's is still looking for a new location in the downtown area, they had an auction of memorabilia from the restaurant last week .

Posted by Picasa

No comments: